Points from the response:
- Firstly, starting from a perspective of employment and thus extraction from the system will quickly derail you. Many of us have chosen the freelance life.
- An attitude of service, outside the consumerist culture, will attract the people who will support you.
- Permaculture can start from any point you are in, but be excellent at what you know and adapt it to the ecological solutions and principles of permaculture.
- There is a lot of room for growth in the field for specialists.
- None of us are employed by anybody. We work as virtual teams coalescing as required and dispersing to our homesteads, to gather another time, teaching, designing, and consulting with each other.
- The quote of my friend Geoff Lawton, "In the future , everyone will need at least five sources of revenue", revenue being a yield that supports your living. Strategize for five "income" streams; and add to that ecological, social, and natural capital.
- Reduce your reliance on the status quo.