Sustainable Business by Dan Halsey
Adapting Holmgren's Principles to Business
Observe and Interact
- Assess the Markets
- Observe the Competition
- Look for Opportunity
- Become Part of the Community
- Build Relationships
- Build Resources
Catch and Store Energy
- Identify Sink and Sources
- Where does your energy come from?
- Where is your energy lost?
- What builds your capacity?
- What reduces your capacity?
- Do you have a system to Store Energy?
Obtain a Yield
- Make a profit?
- Sustain your business
- Sustain yourself
- Sustain your family
- Sustain your future
- Build a buffer for change
Apply Self-Regulation and Accept Feedback
- The Power of Limits
- Reduced cost is instant profit.
- Delayed gratification builds appreciation
- Share the wealth with your community
- Make comparisons of quality
- Feedback is all good
- Toxic feedback is not feedback
- No feedback is negative
Use and Value Renewable Resources
- Use Durable Goods
- Buy proven equipment (New or Used)
- Buy outside of ego
- Internalize your costs
- Use local resources and talent
- Recycle within your business
- Waste = Food
- Everything has a life cycle
- Look for a second life to all purchases
- Buy for permanence and capacity
Design from Patterns to Details
- Make broad decisions of scope
- Refine the decision based on detailed information
- Look for patterns, flags, cycles and system adjustments that will increase capacity with existing resources.
- People Patterns
Integrate Rather Than Segregate
- Don’t live in professional isolation
- Integrate skills, look for smarter people in areas of weakness
- Be the smart person in a few areas
- Keep equipment and resources doing multiple tasks.
- Accept unrelated options as possibilities
Use Small and Slow Solutions
- Build systems slowly
- Make small purchases that have huge effect
- Build momentum with consistent vision
- Try many small steps to find the way
- Experiment with little failures to avoid big one.
- Use and Value Diversity
- Antoine de Saint-Exupery
- People will come who are like minded.
- Avoid intellectual incest
- Look for many sources of information
- In work, play food, and people
- Challenge yourself to accept diverse perceptions
Use Edges and Value the Marginal
- Resources are at the edges
- Opportunity is at the edges
- The forgotten and dismissed have energy
- The Marginalized are clear thinkers
- Look for the Jazz in the weeds
Creatively Use and Respond to Change
- Paradigm Shifts mean more opportunity
- When the rules change, artists increase
- Change is good and continuous
- There is no normal, only the ever shifting now
Care for your self and your talent
- Make decisions based on long term effects and capacity
- Resist long term liabilities for short term gain
- Drink plenty of water, Get plenty of sleep.